Friday, July 29, 2016

WITHERED + SERE by T.J. Klune

3 Stars


After the end of the world, everyone is certifiable. 



Batshit crazy doesn't even begin to explain the mental processing of the major characters in this book. 
"It has taken losing my mind to find my soul.”

Cavalo's internal dialogues, more than actually dialogue, with multiple parties is extensive. You ride along through extended psychotic breaks that relay backstory and characterize Cavalo as inherently unstable. Then again, no one is really fully functioning.
"We are nothing without the names we are given. It’s how we know who we are.”
I admit that this concept is repeated several times and I am absolutely perplexed by it for I see it exactly the opposite. We are more than can be contained in a few irrelevant words.

Just so you know, this ends in a cliffhanger. This is truly the first part of two, and the reason I did not start this before the second was available. I find I have less and less patience. That cover though--speaks to me. Also, I wasn't sure with all the hoopla when it came out if it was a book I actually wanted to read. But, it hits the right note for me because the Old West and post-Apocalyptic times are apparently similar, just the villains have changed. It's filled with the same scrappy pioneer spirit, no nonsense or tolerance for those who go against the tribe.

The first 40% is a bit slow at times even though there's significant action. There's a slow build up and unrolling of the past to situate the reader in the present. At times it seems to flow like molasses, and a couple of the trips on the psychotic carousel could have been eliminated without impairing the plot or comprehension.

But, there's some fun trippy meta questioning of reality and a surprising amount of empathy that evolves as the story proceeds. I don't find this story dark so much as life could be crappier--a lot crappier. 
For the rest of his life, he would wonder, in the dark of night, if that kiss had not occurred, would all that followed have been different?

Overall, an examination of the bleak reality of devastating loss.

No comments:

Post a Comment