Friday, July 8, 2016

STATUS UPDATE by Annabeth Albert

2 STARS


Oh boy. I suspect that my job today is to kick puppies. I wanted to love this story, but I had grave misgivings with the characters and their actions. 

Problem 1: The Setup

This essentially makes Adrian into a TSTL hero. Like find the body ten years later as hikers stumble across it stupid. If a female did this everyone would be screaming bloody murder about how idiotic she was. So, Adrian... no pass on that. 

Problem 2: Adrian's mouth

That boy has some serious foot in mouth disease. I know three years old who have more tact than Adrian, and he knows it--it's not a neurodiversity issue. Invasive and pushy are the nicest terms I can use here.

Problem 3: Noah's actions

I'm all for nice, but Noah's decision to help further after Adrian's been on his case and in his business without invitation--well, dude you come across as a doormat. I'm all for non-confrontational and helping, but this was beyond the call of good Christian. Then there was the incident that he knew would end that way it did and still went ahead, but I can't feel bad about it when we all know ahead of time the outcome to this self destructive choice. Heck, I would have gone into the university with my statement, but I sure as hell would know what was going to happen. 

So basically, this story had a whole bunch of head shaking in between the overly sweet intimacies. I didn't believe the characters and things they did rubbed me the wrong way. The mechanics were good and the guys end up being cute in their highly improbable and conveniently resolved world. 

No comments:

Post a Comment