Friday, July 8, 2016

QUINN'S GAMBIT by Angel Martinez

3 STARS


Strange case of liking something, but being slightly disappointed at the same time. 

So, I was behind the story, I mean a supernatural relocation task force cruising NYC--what's not to like there? The mix of creatures from elves to yetis was good, and how their skills played into their jobs, also a win. 

I guess the big disconnect is that the two protagonist were pretty crappy at communication, and not just stammering, awkward stuff. One's a runner and the other's a wall. Hell, I can't really point fingers because I'm both of those thing. So, you got the pining and the whining. As much as I hate it, all the other characters were smacking them upside the head so it seemed a bit unfair to pile on. 

Then there's the hyper symptoms of the mating bond. It was so romantic that it made me want some espresso to cut the sweetness. Hearts beat as one, yada yada ya... Combined with some of the character inconsistencies and thoughts regarding sexual behaviors and "norms" it just wasn't working for me. To be fair, I've been having a bit of a rough time with romances the last couple weeks so I'll try this one again another time.

No comments:

Post a Comment