Friday, July 8, 2016

WINTER KILL by Josh Lanyon

4 STARS


The comfort of being in capable hands that surety is what Lanyon promises. 

If there's one thing that I somehow always seem to underplay in my mind and be so pleasantly surprised is how well Lanyon crafts a story, peppering in details, adding layers so smoothly. That isn't to say that it was a perfect read, in fact, the start made me stumble. Not the prologue, it was great, but the first scene was had me tripping up. As soon as I got on board it was a swift race to the end. 

Frankly, I was a bit surprised by the body count here. Impressively high, I approve. But it was the character reveals that kept me spinning as the tale unfolded. Suspicion being cast from one to the next, leaving just enough uncertainty that I couldn't rule them out. Underneath all that, a romance. Not first blush, but a tentative unfurling of two individuals who are mature and set in their lives, separate lives. 

What I love about Adam and Rob is their simultaneous strength and vulnerability. Neither is a wallflower, but neither expects to find anything more. So when they meet it's like a silver quarter that's been lost in circulation, still valuable, but a little worn around the edges. They each immediately realize the difference.

So between the mystery, the deaths, the agencies' interplay and the romance, I was sold. 

Overall, love blossoms in a bone orchard.

No comments:

Post a Comment