Friday, July 8, 2016

THE BUTTERFLY KING by Edmond Manning


3 STARS


Devastating. 
What would you risk to find a Lost King? And what if he doesn’t remember you?

This is the most _______ Lost and Founds book. Excessive in nearly everything: violence, passion, emotional reactions; it's all on the brink of too much. The first time a King Weekend is out of control, Vin stumbles and things are precarious to say the least.

The origin story of the Butterfly tree is told, and it is bittersweet. 

The most politically synchronized story to current events. It pushes the reader to the edge, to look and see. Issues of race, bias, internalized prejudice. This is not a man against himself story, though that is clearly the main focus, and while there were issues of racism in King Mai it wasn't vitriolic. 

Pain. I cried the most during this story. I've got to say, Malcolm is right. And wow, talk about the secrets being told about Vin and the entirety of Kinging--it's here. The guidebook of sorts. It also brings up the question of Vin as a Lost King.

At the end of the story, I was vaguely dissatisfied. Terrence's behavior to Vin, what he said. I understand the ultimatum. Completely, I have felt Vin drifting further, so that wasn't the issue, but Terrence's decree as king to Vin was unsettling. (view spoiler)

At the end of this series, I will need to go back and reread this because I feel like I'm missing some symbolism. I'll probably read the next book, King John much quicker because I need Vin to be in a better place than he was left here. I want to feel what this quote promises: 
A feeling, a foreign one, flits through me, a fiery red cardinal dashing from twig to twig in my brambled heart.
Hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment