Friday, July 8, 2016

BODY ROCKS by A.M. Arthur

2 STARS

Way too AfterSchool Special for my taste.

My expectations after reading the blurb weren't close to what this ended up being. I was hoping for a youthful expression of sexuality (early twenties) and romance with issues of coming out under the aegis of a band competition. What I got was a smorgasbord of social issues crammed into a story.

And the trauma. I didn't sign up for this, and the blurb gives no inkling aside from some OFY issues, which I get and seemed absolutely reasonable. So, the add in of attempted rape, blackmail, coercion and raping a minor, cutting, autism, suicide attempt, major character trauma, panic attacks, and ... I might have forgotten one. Oh yeah, blended families and interracial relations.

Just when I was getting invested in the main characters situation there was a new "issue" thrown in to upset the dynamics. Tackling one or two of these issues is challenging, grappling ten of them became overbearing and desensitizing. I don't mind, if fact I often enjoy a bit of communicating relevant issues and for the genre, the focus is spot on, but the other thing that was really off-putting about it was the presentation.

Unrealistic dialogue, people just don't talk like this. It felt very contrived. Painful.

Gender studies speak, bleh. I get that this is aimed towards a younger crowd. I should make a note that new adult isn't really my thing and save myself the agony of explaining. Don't explain things in terms characters aren't going to really say. I don't need the lingo. 

Pep talks. This reads more like a self help motivational book than a romance.

Finally, there a couple of quick instances of phrases that automatically turn me off, both just for the verbiage and second for intention behind it. "Dripping pussies", I never want to read that description supposedly coming out of an adult male. Reeks of misogyny. Just no.

And then there's the music. I'm the musical reject in a household of talent that spans oboe/english horn to twelve string guitar with most everything between aside from percussion being played, and I'm not a huge let's shove things into tidy little boxes to label it for my comfort. But, BUT... the majority of songs referenced really don't bring to mind Indie Rock: Katy Perry, Beyonce, Taylor Swift, Bruno Mars, Rhianna-- I stopped noting them because I was bored, and to be fair there were a couple that rang true. Nonetheless, if you're a hardcore indie fan going with expectations just dial it back and ride the Pop wave. Mind you, this is INDIE ROCK, not indie pop. 

So, this wasn't the read I was hoping for going in and the angst and trauma of the constant bad luck and injustice was too much. It eclipsed the romance. 

Overall, a social issues whack-a-mole read. 

No comments:

Post a Comment