Friday, July 8, 2016

THE CHIMERA by Adrienne Wilder

3 STARS


Society sways 
Fallen days, an unpaid debt
Sweetly pain whispers 

Managed to inspire a haiku review if not a lot of other excitement. 

So, this is a dystopian debt slave fic. I suppose if it is one of the first you've read about training and breaking then it's more powerful. It's got the usual psychological and physiological barrier breaking scenes and they're interesting. The mythological/technological tie in has potential, but not sure if it will be realized. I'm not a fan of serials so less enamored with that, but I did know it going in so no demerits for that.

My favorite part is the man versus self conflict of Leo. Probably one of the things I enjoy most about various Wilder stories that I've read. Especially, when man loses to the beast inside. I didn't really connect with this for whatever reason, but the pain was nicely done. Again, a strong suit of Wilder's that I appreciate. 

Not sure I'll follow on, aside from an arc plot surprise I think I've got a handle on where it's going, and the sectioned nature of serials makes it very hard for me to invest in the story. Mayhap I'll try it when it's completed. 

Overall, a sweetly possessive slave trainer story.

No comments:

Post a Comment