Friday, July 8, 2016

BURN DOWN THE NIGHT by Molly O'Keefe

5 STARS


You can't make lemonade without some sugar. 

Ever play cards and each hand you get is just crap. Doesn't matter how many times the deck gets shuffled and dealt, you always end up with random junk that ain't gonna do you any good. Well, that's life for Joan and Max. And boy do they have...

Issues. 

You know how you get kids to stop biting or pulling hair? You find another kid with the same behavioral issue, stick 'em together, and Voila! They sort out pretty fast that it's not cool... or they become sociopaths. And this book is more than a little like that. 

Joan has got some issues. Dragging baggage all around and fucking whatever catches her eye. Thing is, one flavor she likes a whole lotta is TROUBLE. Specifically her taste in men is bad news. When she's being good, she sticks to women, but when she jumps on the crazy train it's dick all the way. 



Hello Max. President of the outlaw motorcycle club, the Skulls. 
The sunlight coming through the big plate glass windows caught the sliver on his fingers and wrists. He looked like some kind of magpie king. A deadly assassin in some alternate universe.


Captive and front row audience to some interesting reveals. Joan keeps finding interesting ways to sublimate her raging desire for Max's dick. 



This is a steamy read and it has you edging. There's all kinds of teasing and pulling out. 

That begging was a game. This felt unbearably real.


Emotionally and physically.

Until finally, she eventually succumbs.



Anyway, the sex focus of the first half of the book is the exact opposite of what I like when I read erotica. I'm a woman, I know my body and what I like; I figured it out as a teen. It's the one instrument I can play aside from the cowbell. It doesn't give me any kicks to read about female genitalia or how to get it off. Trust me, I know how to do that, please shift focus to what I really want--more dick. I like men. I like the way they smell, taste, sound, feel--fuck yeah! That's where I want to focus. Now, Joan is bisexual so I get the one scene fine, but I want to know about her partner's body, not hers. Snorts. One reason I dig MM is because I'm totally guaranteed dick. 100% sure thing. 

Of course, this turns Max's crank just fine, which of course I understand because I feel the same way about two hot guys--ain't nothing to disagree with. It all looks good. But, I digress... back to the story.

Heat, sex, wild emotional swings and we're roaring towards the conclusion with our heroes primed and pumped. Then. Flighty decision at the end--really? I mean it makes excitement at the expense of Joan's intelligence. Not TSTL, but definitely planning challenged. Disappointed. She was a heroine I was connecting with and then this slip into complete flibbertigibbet. And the stupid was contagious until good sense reasserted itself with a secondary character. 

Nonetheless, the climax was pretty sweet and I got behind the muted violence with glee. It's oozing feelings in ways only emotionally repressed people can. Max and Olivia are building their HEA with a little help from family and friends. I liked the theme of redemption and hope. So the ending pushed this story back up to four star territory when it slipped back to 3.25. 

Favorite quote: 
Revenge. I made fist around the idea and held on as tight as I could.

No comments:

Post a Comment