Monday, November 10, 2014

Two Steps Back by Lyn Gala

CCC

Solid read, just not my favorite cup of tea. 

I did enjoy it. There are a lot of similarities in the characterizations between this story and Gala's Claimings, Tails, and Other Alien Artifacts. So if you loved that story like I did, then this will be a pleasure read. In fact, the parallels between Liam and Dallin and Ondry and William when stripped down share more than a passing resemblance. There are differences, but their temperaments and the dynamics are spot on. 
It was the fact that William’s reaction to a fight was to pull him even closer, like he valued Dallin enough to keep him.

Unlike Gala's Claiming series, the heat meter is turned up--to Scorch. Some really lovely play that was both erotic and sigh worthy--nicely done and YUMMY!

So did I rate this lower because I'm familiar with Gala's scifi works and miss the added elements--probably. I really like science fiction for the freedom it allows to express radically different viewpoints to traditional contemporary ones without the didacticism. 

Again, my personal bias, I do not enjoy stories that have MCs with extended crises related to religion. I actually have no opinion on what any one does or doesn't believe as long as they don't try to shove it down my throat. Thus, the legitimate and completely understandable family situation surrounding Dallin did not appeal to me. AND... the fire and brimstone proselytizing by his parents raised my hackles. 

Third bias, I really don't like rent boy stories. Weird because I read all sorts of stories that deal with romanticizing objectification and dehumanization, but by placing them in non-contemporary settings I have this psychological separation that allows me to concentrate on the underlying theme. 

Finally, I liked the end, but it felt a bit rushed. Or maybe, I just wanted to see how the threads got untangled. Loved, the realistic treatment at the conclusion. 

Overall, a sexy D/s Cinferfella tale with some religious baggage. 

Favorite quote: 
Yeah, part of him had known it was a stupid dream, but he’d liked that dream.

No comments:

Post a Comment