Monday, November 10, 2014

Shaking the Sugar Tree by Nick Wilgus

CCCC

I don't think we're in Kansas anymore.

So... this is very Southern. My previous exposures to southern writers did not prepare me for this. Maybe my reading is lacking. Took me a few moments to get into the groove and frankly, I think I was sitting through more than a few of the scenes shaking my head right along with Jackson going, "How do I get off the crazy train?"

Wiley is a loud narrator who does not make nice even if his momma wished we would. He's brash and honest and puts things out there, warts and all. Might be a bit more honesty than I'm use to. Anyway, you can see he didn't fall far from the tree when his Papaw opens his mouth and witness the gems that come out. Rude and offensive pretty much describe every conversation which Papaw takes part in. Inevitably, he manages to become less obnoxious and more endearing, but I think that's after you figure out he's making fun of you for playing along. Let's just say that as far as attention getting maneuvers go, Papaw is hard to ignore.
“We don’t hide crazy,” I said. “We put it on the porch and let it entertain the neighbors.”

Wiley's situation isn't unique and isn't easy. Sole parent to a special needs child living under the poverty level and doing the best he can. Rough barely begins to describe it. But, one look at Noah and you can't help but smile. Noah is one of those rare determined and joy-grabbing people. He's both in his own world and radically interacting with others. He won't be ignored. I fell more than a little in love with him. 

The hard part was watching how those who should really have a vested interest in Noah, didn't. Then there are those who see Wiley and Noah and understand and know: Jackson, Father Ginderbach, Tonya, and Mrs. Humphries. And those who need to be dragged to common sense--it's a distinguished list and longer than it should be. But the journey to make a family in the unforgiving territory surrounding Wiley was a good one. 

The author's note about the story was spot on: This is the story of one man's love for his child. It is beautiful. 

Overall, big, bold and in your face.

Favorite quote: 
For the first time, there was acceptance and, oddly enough, disinterest, as though I had finally reached a point in my life where my peculiarities were so commonplace as to be no longer worth noticing.

No comments:

Post a Comment