Monday, November 10, 2014

Ethan Who Loved Carter by Ryan Loveless

CCCC

This is the kind of story that makes me feel like life has sped up so fast and in the never-ending quest to keep on top of things we've lost sight of really important things. We've become impatient and intolerant of those who don't work/act/contribute to our preconceived ideas of right and acceptable. We've become callous and forgotten how important kindness is. 

Ethan suffered a traumatic brain injury and was significantly impacted as a result. He's an amazing character. I spent half the story wishing I knew him and the other half wanting to cry. But, things happen to all of us and it is important to live for now and forward--not backwards. 

Carter has Tourette's Syndrome and deals with the alienation of its symptoms on a daily basis. Mostly, its just easier not to interact. His frustration was palpable. And I'd be anxious mess in his place. 

There's no changing either of their lives. This is as good as it gets. 

I spent a good portion of this book in awe of both of them and wanting to cry at the same time. It wasn't that I pitied them, but that I wished things weren't so hard. And the challenges in the story, well, they are emotional time bombs. Ethan's family's, wow, just great. Even Elliot, conflicted and teenage hormonal as he is and cruel at times is still great. And I guess that is one of the things I liked most about the story, there were illustrations of how a person could both be good and mean. How each of us has the potential to be an agent for both. So, which one do you want to be? 
“What music do you hear?” Carter asked.
Ethan looked at him. “Yours,” he said, as if Carter should have known.

One final note: I avoided this book for a while because I was really afraid of it taking advantage of the two characters' states of being and using it without regard, sensationalizing it, and ignoring the complexity of each Ethan and Carter's lives. I shouldn't have. 

Overall, emotional story of two marginalized characters struggling to get their HEA.

Favorite quote:
Carter adjusted his previous assessment to count this night as a thousand and one times better than predicted.

No comments:

Post a Comment