Monday, November 10, 2014

Hard Fall by James Buchanan

CCC

Great outdoorsy read with steam, intolerance, and self acceptance.

Joe is a solid, upright citizen. A man who contributes to his community and serves it because that is what he believes is right. He's well respected until it all hits the fan. There's something wrong with him--at least, that's what a portion of his neighbors think. Cue intolerance and homophobia. 

The temptation? Kabe. An ex-con that's settled into the area. When circumstances bring them together they have a hard time separating again. 

There's a lot more to this story than just a biracial, religious romance. There's some great climbing and hiking, and while I don't do the first, this story definitely made me want to do the second--now. Nature lovers take note, a good portion of the story revolves around the open spaces and it has a certain reverence to it. There is a strong emphasis on rock climbing in particular. 

Growing up in an extremely diverse area I find that multicultural stories often have a weird fetish to them or stereotyping that doesn't sit well with me, but here it wasn't an issue at all. Yes, there are instances of skin admiration, but it focused more on tonal hues in the sunlight and difference after a solid spanking--Yum. Gorgeous play that noted the inherent difference, but didn't feel skeevy.

The part that was a bit more uncomfortable for me was the LDS component and Joe's struggle with finding a balance between his beliefs, his orientation, and his church. Honestly, this underlined why I have issues with organized religion. Having a family member who converted during college, I can say that I understood and thought the portrayal of Mormon beliefs and behaviors were in line with what I've observed: missionaries, food stockpiles, tithing, caffeine/alcohol restrictions, and baptisms for the deceased. I have no knowledge of undergarments and Temple activities.

Overall, one man's struggle for acceptance in the wild open spaces of the West. 

3.5 Stars More than three, but not quite a four. 

Favorite quote:
"God may love me, but you don't."

No comments:

Post a Comment