Wednesday, May 10, 2017

The Evenings: A Winter's Tale by Gerard Reve


2 Stars

This is really not a me book. My initial impression as I started reading this is that it reminded me heavily of Kafka's Metamorphosis. Unfortunately for me, this did not change as the story went on. There's that minutiae and sense of futility and psychotic breaks that just drag. I know others love this, but not me. 

Fritz lives with his mother and father. She harps and complains and he longs for peace and calm. He is obsessed with baldness and death, and his powerlessness. He goes through the day detailing his every action, which if you want to know how people lived is great, but for entertainment value is as about exciting as watching paint dry. 

Clearly a classic, and beloved by many, I really believe if you are a fan of Metamorphosis that you'll enjoy this book, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment