Wednesday, May 10, 2017

The Black Moth by Georgette Heyer


3 Stars

They're all idiots.

Okay, here's the twist and my conundrum in rating this book. A good part of this just reads as melodramatic Georgian period llama drama. Overblown. On the other hand, there are parts of this where the absurdity of it is evident--it's mocking the behavior in a Much Ado About Nothing kinda way. So, reader mood when approaching this really affects how it is received. Oddly enough, I went back and forth between the two and it seemed to drag on a bit in places; therefore, I'm not entirely displeased, but it's not a bell ringer either. 

Parts of it were 2 stars, a few sparkling moments of humor really shining to 4 stars, but plodding along just under 3 stars for most of it. It really isn't 2 stars, but my rating is a generous farce-appreciating one, even if I didn't for large portions of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment