Thursday, October 12, 2017

THE ELEGANCE OF A HEDGEHOG by Muriel Barberry

DNF, no rating


Intellectual masturbation that mocks intellectual masturbation.

Renee's hodgepodge approach to number orderings is extraordinarily distracting. All this time contemplating philosophy and different approaches and yet the ability to go from second to third to fourth to first to fifth and sixth. Or ages, twelve to five to seven. There are connections, but it is a meandering mindspace.

And you know you've been caught in the author's trap when you find yourself analyzing the choice of esthetic instead of the old fashioned aesthetic and concluding that for her modern, proletarian sense that esthetic is certainly correct and aesthetic would be all wrong.

OMG. I think I better understand the intellectual wandering as a bizarre need to present a position of superiority, but then there's something like this which highlights, as if I weren't already aware of the hypocrisy of Renee, how ignorant she is:
I sat there shouting at the television: go on, catch up with her, go on! I felt incredibly angry at the one who had dawdled.
It's basic physics.

DNF - Called it quits at chapter 18 because we just don't suit as reader and book. Maybe another time this would work, unlikely, but nonetheless, I can see how this could really shine from the right perspective. Alas, not me. Thus, no rating.

Still love this quote though: I have read so many books...
And yet, like most autodidacts, I am never quite sure of what I have gained from them.

No comments:

Post a Comment