Tuesday, October 3, 2017

DEARLY DEVOTED DEXTER by Jeff Lindsay

4 Stars


Delicious. The first one was so good that I took a second helping.

If book one, DARKLY DREAMING DEXTER, was an eight on the horrifying scale then turn the dial right up to eleven. So what if it only goes to ten, this is an eleven. Just push the envelope further. More suspense, more emotion, and definitely more investment in Dexter as a hero. A flawed, dark knight.

The nemesis here is quite impressive and the events are more gruesome. I won't lie, I really liked this one. What is truly a boon to the series is Dexter's developing character and his interpersonal relationships, which for someone who is incapable of emotions is very interesting to watch how he navigates.

There is something sweet about Dexter, an earnestness that shine through that makes him lovable. He may not be capable of emotional attachments, but he uses logic to validate his relationships in the finest form of rationalization I've seen in awhile. I suppose being able to understand his motivations completely makes me feel an empathy for him.


No comments:

Post a Comment