Friday, November 24, 2017

DEXTER IN THE DARK by Jeff Lindsay

3 Stars


I really should have liked this more.

I stood up. It was all too much. I could not even meet my own expectations, and to be asked to deal with all theirs was too suffocating. 

Dexter's growth during this book is good, a solid advancement of his character rather than just rinse and repeat that afflicts so many series. The majority of it is driven by external forces, Dexter's interaction with other characters, but in this episode the Dark Passenger takes center stage.

I closed my eyes and listened to the novel emotions gurgling through me. Feeling--what authentic human fun. Next, I could join a bowling league.

Dexter's relationship with Rita is advancing rapidly and her children, Astor and Cody are looking forward to their new father.

And even worse, I could tell that somehow it had become my problem; the children expected me to bail them out, and Rita was clearly prepared to lock and load and open fire on me. 

The thing that did not work for me was the heavy-handed omniscient viewpoint. I found it too fantastical and a clumsy attempt at explaining the Dark Passenger and the story would have been fine without it. It was dissatisfying.

Words to live by:

"No, it's not fair," I said. "Nothing in life is fair. Fair is a dirty word and I'll thank you not to use that language around me."

No comments:

Post a Comment