Wednesday, July 5, 2017

WTF (Geek Actually Season 1, Episode 1) by Cathy Yardley

3 Stars


Chick lit is hit or miss for me, but after reading the blurb, I was totally on board with the idea of cast of female friends navigating their careers and lives together. To be honest though, I felt like an interloper without gamer cred, I abandoned FF when it transitioned to online only. Yeah, If I want to interact with strangers, I will, but when I want to play a video game that's not it. Now, the geek thing is more a lifestyle gamer reference than career--there is one character doing video game programming. 

We have Michelle, the editor responsible for everything for her clients in addition to her job, you know, editing. Again, her interpersonal skills seem to be an issue that's on simmer and the lid's about to blow off. Aditi, the writer in crisis mode for her sequel and not dealing with what's on the table, now. But, surprisingly has the best interpersonal relationship of the bunch. Taneesha, the video game programmer finding out the ugly reality of the startup pufferfish game. Yeah, big fish in little pond is not the same thing. Sidelined? Maybe, and she has a legit gripe. Finally, there's Elli, the cosplay devotee and way younger than her age and frankly, dreadfully poor interpersonal skills. There's living your life and being free--great, and there's tramping through other people's lives with no regard--not so great beyond a certain age, and let's say she's way too old to get a pass.

The eroticism was fairly low for me. I applaud Aditi's mature relationship with her significant other, but the whole issue of not having been clear in the upfront expectations didn't work for me. Wasn't upset, considering the starting point of the interaction, but it just didn't do anything for me.

This is a short serial episode so it's hard to judge, what I'm getting are impressions of characters. Some things I like, some I'm less enamored with. First, the Dalek disrespect is never going to be cool. It's like dissing Harryhausen's FX, just no. Second, and this is a huge me issue, too much publishing insider crapola. Reading about making books while I'm reading one destroys the illusion. Finally, my biggest issue with these women are their choices. Chick lit that revolves around real issues are great, but immaturity and poor decision making that gets blamed on someone else is not cool.

I feel uncomfortable rating such a brief overview of characters; it squeaks through at 3 stars.



No comments:

Post a Comment