Thursday, July 20, 2017

Heart of the Lost Star by Megan Derr

3.5 Stars


Perfect timing. After spending time traveling, visiting, and not reading for nearly two weeks this book was just what I needed. Derr always manages to create stories that blend adventure, action, and humor that entertain me. 

I had been looking forward to Jader's story, and he is everything I hoped. To say that identify with him is a minor understatement. His upbringing reminds me of my childhood, though to be honest, waiting until a year old is extraordinarily late--I was in the ocean at three weeks--so I just rewrote that little bit in my mind because it seemed silly. His room in the palace, his jewelry, and frankly, his inability to understand the stupid choices of mainlanders is something I've spent my life trying to understand after moving stateside.

Kamir is a gentle soul and when I was younger probably would have had a hard time understanding since I grew up feral, rough and tumble. Over the years, I've become very protective of tender souls and that's what Kamir is. He's competent and skilled, but because he doesn't grandstand or demand attention he's negated.

This is a sensual and erotic, which Derr doesn't always do. Frankly, I'm Jader here, too. Sex is a beautiful thing and I agree with John Mayer, "you're body is wonderland" and it's a terrible waste not to explore it. The characters spend a great deal of time apart, so there is a pining element.

Again, Sarrica is an ass. Allen is his usual awesome self and there's a few new characters that add to the world of the High King. This is a comfort series and read for me. Is this my favorite in the series? No. Even though I love Jader, there is less action and more talking than my preference. Kamir's situation with his family is a nightmare and I handle things differently--more like Jader. 


No comments:

Post a Comment