Thursday, January 16, 2014

The Dead Will Rise First

by Logan Kain

CCC

I admire the intent and sentiment expressed in this story that love is good and do you really want to devote your life to something that spews hate. This I applaud and I'll point to Marcus Aurelius as my personal guidance and moral compass:
“Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.”
― Marcus Aurelius, Meditations
That said I had issue with the logic involved that really confused me. I'm going to ignore the entire Rapture argument because frankly I lack sufficient knowledge to make a cogent one, but I for the life of me cannot comprehend how the lack of morals leads to cannibalism. That said, the worldview after the Rapture is a bleak one and those left behind are in dire straits.

Needless to say, I had problems with a fundamental principle which lessened my enjoyment because I found them to be contradictory in the world building. Did I like it? It was fine. I'm not a huge zombie fan and don't get off on gore as such. So I'm probably not the target audience. That said, I'm with TJ in the end game.

Favorite quotes:
"Ask enough, and you will begin to look at the world with new eyes."

 "There was no fear of death, just acceptance. Here I come God, you have some explaining to do."

No comments:

Post a Comment