Tuesday, October 29, 2013

The Gravedigger's Brawl

by Abigail Roux

CCC


A seesaw story with some interesting characters and cheeky dialogue.

Wyatt is funny, adorkable, and I really enjoyed his interactions with the museum board. While the timeline for throwing together the exhibition was incredibly unrealistic, the tombstones and signage alone would have consumed the allotted time, I loved the Hail Mary pass he pitched to them. The constant tenor of trying to avoid them and hiding was hysterical:
“You do Pilates under your desk?”
You don’t?” Wyatt asked, eyes going wide.

Better yet, he has a friend, Noah who is both an instigator and the sanity check for him. Noah means well, but no one is completely selfless in their actions:
"He told me he wanted me to meet the guy he worked for and I thought, ‘Hey, I’ll toss him Wyatt in return.’”
With friends like that what could possibly go wrong? And boring, pish-posh.

Ash is unconventional, sexy and has a serious outfit coordinating fixation. Not that I wouldn't mind having a gander at a few of his accessories of choice. Lucky Wyatt, he becomes acquainted with several. 

The actual romance is cute and the elements of Ash and his job and Wyatt meeting and how they intersect is fun and filled with a lot of nifty details. The constant back and forth about whether one should believe what's happening or not is well done and not resolved until the end. I'm not a huge ghost story fan. It's not like a believe or disbelieve their existence, but I don't spend time thinking about them. If I was a bigger paranormal fan then I probably would have rated this higher, but I did enjoy it.

Favorite quote:
"Noah crossed his arms and said for the third time, “I don’t like this, not one bit. I don’t have many morals, but the ones I do have are not happy.”

No comments:

Post a Comment