Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Beyond Eden

by Kele Moon

CCC


A test of friendship for Eve, Danny, and Paul.

Honestly, I found both Eve and Paul to be a bit whiny in the beginning of the story with Danny being the only one who seemed to have his head on straight. On one hand, there's Eve complaining about her parents being in her business when she moves back home at age 28. To this I just want to say, suck it up, save and get our own place. On the other hand, Paul is so completely ignoring his reality which after nine years seems pretty dumb. I get that I'm suppose to feel empathetic, but he came across more as ostrich who decides to stick his head in the sand instead of deal with the situation. Both Eve and Paul appear as needy subs. I don't like needy subs.

Granted, once I see Paul and Danny in action my opinion shifted a bit, but I still didn't believe that they could/would have ignored the obvious for so many years. That it took Eve to be the catalyst, not to shift the whole balance, but the men's acceptance and understanding of the situation at hand. I didn't believe it.

Now I might have rated this book higher, by just accepting the author's take of the situation, but there were three things in particular that aggravated me. First, Eve's use of hyperbole was annoying. Second, the amount of Eve's internal dialog about her art and how scenes were described in these terms, again, annoying. I wanted to tell her to shut up at one point. Third, and this is the big one, the overuse of the term "vanilla". I counted 37 instances at just past the 50%. Now, at best, I find this term silly, but harmless when used sparingly, and at worst it comes across as immature and ridiculous--as does the term "deviant". Grow up. Even if the author thought this was cute I can't imagine how the editor let it slide.

Sad really, because underneath it all is a beautiful story about three friends and how their lives evolve and transform. Definitely worth reading, just grit your teeth through those bits and you'll see something pretty underneath. I'll read Danny and Paul's story because I'm really curious how Danny came to be the protector he is.

Favorite quote:
"He willed the exhaustion to take him into sleep as he tried to pretend Paul was sleeping with him because he loved him, not because he had ordered him to."

No comments:

Post a Comment