Monday, October 7, 2013

St. Nacho's

by Z.A. Maxfield

CCCC


This one packs a wallop. 

Cooper is damaged, a bunch of it self-inflicted, and definitely more than dented. How does one get beyond past events, find a place in the now when we carry it around like an albatross? Cooper carries a lot and he's been running for a long time until he finds a place where he can finally stop.

Santo Ignacio is the Brigadoon for gays. It's an idyllic place where happiness is possible until the outer world crashes back into it. A place of second chances and letting go for Cooper. 

Cooper takes a call and answers a request, sacrificing his newfound peace to assuage his guilt--and this is where I have a big issue. I get people take on guilt that isn't there own, but it drives me NUTS. Sometimes you can't go back. It doesn't matter about good intentions, sometimes the only answer is a fresh start. Both Cooper and Jordan come to realize this, but it is a painful process. 

In the end, you can never really go back--you can only keep going forwards and when you're lucky you can interweave the best of the past with now. This was an emotional read, some of it was really tough especially issues surrounding Jordan. I also find proselytizing a huge turn off and Pastor Stan made me want to strangle him which to be fair wasn't the appropriate response for the man truly believed and meant well, but the I disagree with the methods. So my personal peccadillos probably deleted a merited star, but hey, it's my opinion. 

Favorite quotes:
"I tried to return his smile, but couldn’t find one that wasn’t so used it was completely unworthy."

"I was covered in a kind of social rust, made worse by my age and his expectations."

"I loved him. I’d always loved him. But I would never again be in love with him."

No comments:

Post a Comment