Thursday, June 21, 2018

Vaster than Empires and More Slow by Ursula K. Le Guin


3.5 Stars


Other than a book of nonfiction essays on life that I read, this is my first Le Guin book .*hangs head in shame* Clearly, I was just depriving myself of some beautiful prose and thought-provoking work that I will be delving into for years to come. I also feel like Le Guin is one of those writers that makes you a better person, not sure I want to be better, but if it's the price to pay--so be it.

I could make analogies and really nail down the concepts of the story, but I think that would ruin it. So, I'll say this instead. This work focuses on neurodiversity and morays within the crew of an Extreme Surveying mission. Le Guin's strength is psychological, character motivation on a beautifully drawn tableau. Complexity without being obscure, and the glorious sensation of drifting on a river of words. 

Riveting short story that makes a perfect bedtime treat.


No comments:

Post a Comment