Wednesday, June 20, 2018

An Ideal Husband by Oscar Wilde

3 Stars


“Ah! I prefer pluck.  It is not so common, nowadays, as genius is.”

Witty and charming, assuming you ignore some really dreadful and outdated sexist concepts. Those I could stab in the eye, but Lord Goring and Lady Mabel's repartees were delightfully nonsensical. While it's not The Importance of Being Earnest, it's still a nice diversion.

Lord Goring:  [Triumphantly.]  No; that was a flash of genius.

Mabel Chiltern:  Your first.

Lord Goring:  [With determination.]  My last.

Stabby, stabby:

"A man’s life is of more value than a woman’s.  It has larger issues, wider scope, greater ambitions.  A woman’s life revolves in curves of emotions."

The theme of unrealistic expectations that we place on our intimates, the burden of judgement instead of forgiveness, and ease in which miscommunication can blossom wildly out of control are all well done. That said, I'll be absolutely judgmental and unforgiving: I need better quality friends because while I have the occasional engaging word play for the most part it seems everyone's forgotten the art of conversation. It's not moaning and whining about everything. Life updates are good and have a place, but aim higher. Amuse me. Otherwise, why am I bothering.

"My prizes came a little later on in life.  I don’t think any of them were for good conduct."

No comments:

Post a Comment