Monday, March 19, 2018

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri by Martin McDonagh


4 Stars


Rating a screenplay? Who knows?
Rating the story? Oh yeah... 

This all started with me attempting to cheat--no, that's not quite accurate, looking for an advantage in the annual Academy Awards ballot competition. While other participants read the local industry rags to find the odds, I decided to borrow a screenplay. Of course, I admitted I had a copy and was just starting to read it when the announcement that it was hitting Redbox Tuesday after the awards and I stopped. Truce of sorts. I don't really watch TV and the occasional show or movie is a concession I make, so I put it aside. 

Fastforward. So, I saw the movie before reading this, which to be honest, is a bit of a spoiler, but I still laughed at the same points in the screenplay as I did in the movie--Win. The technical aspects of how much direction is given was interesting to see. I really like the movie and I really liked the screenplay.

Because through Love comes Calm, and through Calm comes Thought. And you need Thought to detect stuff sometimes, Jason. It's kinda all you need.


Kudos to Francis McDormand and Sam Rockwell for their awards, though I have to admit that I was disappointed that Sam Rockwell didn't say:


No comments:

Post a Comment