Thursday, January 11, 2018

The Sun and Her Flowers by Rupi Kaur

3.5 Stars


I'm not sure I would have heard about this book of poetry and drawings if it weren't for its inclusion on a younger family member's Christmas wishlist. Actually, THE SUN AND HER FLOWERS and MILK AND HONEY  were on it and I purchased both for them. Then, I thought to myself that poetry is one of those things that speaks to the individual and often in ways that we don't discuss with each other. So, I wanted to know why she requested them in hopes of peeking into her inner psyche and wandered to my local library site to see if it was available to loan--it was, but the wait time was going to be a couple months. Fine. I wasn't in any rush.

I really don't feel capable of critiquing it on a technical basis. I read poetry. I know what I like, but do I have any true understanding of how to analyze it for fundamentals--no. Therefore, this review will focus on its visual elements, the drawings, and the emotional response it evoked.

The book is divided into subsections. I'm just going to quote the 'About the book' blurb for concise reference because it's spot on.
The sun and her flowers is a collection of poetry about grief, self-abandonment, honoring one's roots, love, and empowering oneself. It is split into five chapters: wilting, falling, rooting, rising, and blooming. 
It is female oriented and speaks to the challenges we face in ourselves and the world which attempts to define for us what "women" is. There are some wonderful insights, whether or not it's great poetry I can't say, but it is definitely the sort of thing you can open and reflect on the struggle and triumph discussed within it.
i use to dream of being so strong nothing could shake me. now. i am. so strong. that nothing shakes me. and all i dream is to soften.

yes
it is possible
to hate and love someone
at the same time
i do it to myself
every day

the right one does not
stand in your way
they make space for you
to step forward

i stand
on the sacrifices
of a million women before me
thinking
what can i doto make this mountain tallerso the women after mecan see farther-legacy

Is it feminist? If being focused on a women's perspective is your sole defining characteristic of feminism then yes. But, I think this is more about individual self-worth and agency. Some times this felt almost hackneyed, like aphorisms, but it had a well-thought out trajectory and the drawings that accompanied were lovely. Some intriguing continuous line drawing and they help to focus the mind on the intent of the words.



I think the more torn, and probably younger, at least closer to the age of the author or twenties then this is more powerful. That said, I can easily recommend it to several friends I know who are double that age, if for no other reason then remembering your own struggles and how you've persevered is a good reflection.


No comments:

Post a Comment