Monday, January 22, 2018

The Convenient Marriage by Georgette Heyer


3 Stars


Dangerous Liaisons made light with absurdity.

There I was in the middle of reading some dreadfully bleak and twisted books when I realized that a bit of fluff would clear the palette. Voila! Enter Heyer. And it worked, I just had to bite my tongue and read past Horatia's propensity to be an absolute rube. She had all the moxy I like in a heroine, but her leap before looking and then going, 'Oh, dear!' was grating. I suppose it's better than not realize her idiocy at all, but nevertheless, eye-rolling and made me want to smack her upside the head. I know, I know... she's young; it's allowed. *eye-roll* Let's just say that unprepared and arrogant are not two qualities I enjoy in tandem. 

And Rule. *deep sigh* Woefully under-explored. As the master tactician he loses some shine with his choice. I get it. He's jaded and Horry's the breath of fresh air that will reinvigorate his life. 

Frankly, the secondary characters had all the good lines and saved it.

When he had seen the Viscount stalking towards him at Almack's he had been quite aghast, and would have been perfectly willing to eat the rash words that had caused all the bother had not the Viscount committed that shocking rape upon his hat and wig. [...] this brutal action had roused him to a really heroic rage.

The hat is beyond and really needs to be read properly in context to be enjoyed. 

It was a good fight -- I don't remember a better. Hatred lends a spice, doesn't it?

Nothing more endearing than a good loser.

You can't go around the club asking a lot of queer-looking strangers to come to Vauxhall with you. Besides, what should we do with them when we got 'em there?

Utterly unhinged at times, but surprisingly insightful when taking a moment for reflection. 

So, the main characters were meh, but the absurd romp and especially the last sixty pages left me feeling much fonder. 


No comments:

Post a Comment