Wednesday, December 6, 2017

NO IS NOT ENOUGH: RESISTING TRUMP'S SHOCK POLITICS AND WINNING THE WORLD WE NEED by Naomi Klein

3.5 Stars

My Key Takeaway: Advocate what you are for, not what you're against. Voice it.

This is such a contentious issue that I don't think most people will read it. I was a bit hesitant, but I have to say that while this is a progressive, left-leaning book, Klein does an excellent job supporting her position, whether you agree with it or not.

This is more interested in framing the problems that led to where the US, and the world, stands in regards to governance. The decisions we make as populations by our choice of leadership and the consequences. And Klein proposes a radical counterstrategy, don't try to regain just what's been lost, go for it all.

Trump is a symptom of a huge problem. A really ugly symptom, like a an oozing pus-filled wound, but he's not the origin. He merely took advantage of it and now he's actively deconstructing the government, gutting it, to benefit profiteers.

He's running a really loud show. It's drowning out EVERYTHING but him.

Worst part?

Only through intersectionality will we overcome the challenges--yeah, I'm not that optimistic. We are so fucked.



This book is not me. I am a centrist. According to Klein, I'm part of the problem. That's fine. I prefer chipping away and rebuilding to the violence of upheaval--others may feel differently.

Little ad lib: One of the best things I ever learned regarding customer service complaints, and government is customer service, is that you have to state the problem and tell the company/government/service provider what they can do to resolve the situation to your satisfaction. It has to be something realistically possible. I have always been either satisfied with a company's response or taken my business elsewhere, but engaging with the other party to seek resolution is a key component.


No comments:

Post a Comment