Monday, September 26, 2016

MOTEL. POOL. by Kim Fielding

4 Stars


Utterly depressing and inspiring, at the same time? It's a strange paradox. 

I found the beginning slow, it started where I didn't expect. It was actually an extended prologue lasting approximately 10% of the book and I felt confused because I kept thinking where's the story I thought. That and Hollywood machine stories that chew and spit out people as a LA local really don't appeal to me, at all. So, that was a depressing backstory.

The road trip aspect really appealed to me. I love the dissolution of barriers in the confined enclosure of an extended car ride. There's a opening up that occurs in hostage situations and the fact that participants often can't look at each other while seated encourages revelations that aren't always possible in a face to face conversation. 

The fact is, we all have our ghosts, ironically, including ghosts. 

While Jack is pondering his situation, Tag is running from his. Both characters have lived with dissatisfaction, but together they find something they never had, never thought they'd get. There's some twists and turns, and some tears. Not gonna lie. I cried. 

The end... well that was worth it. 

Overall, an emotionally fraught tale of finding acceptance. 

No comments:

Post a Comment