Friday, September 18, 2015

Body Option by Tayla Andor

CCCC


Existence in multiple forms.

So, this pegged my desire for action and technology in science fiction, which made me a happy girl. Loved the premise of Argent's being in this one, his choices and his acumen. Loved the subtly woven interracial storyline, frankly, in the future the present boundaries regarding this seem ridiculous, so I enjoyed Grant's persona. A little bit of stereotyping with the blond elfin and the muscled black, but their personalities and interactions were wonderfully equal and the banter humorous. 

I love the exploration of the concept of humanity, form, and the interconnection between Grant and Argent. What takes it from a 5 down to 4? The story had more legs than it ran--too short. The abbreviated reconciliation and reveling in their like forms after the developing story of two inseparable friends and partners left me feeling a bit cheated. After years of being perfect together in others ways, I wanted to see that materialize physically to a greater extent. 

Overall, fast-paced short story that has heart.

Favorite quote:
"I've lived through peripherals since meat and bones failed me at eight. No sense downgrading now."

No comments:

Post a Comment