Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Acquainted with the Night by Tymber Dalton

CC

Saved it for so long, building up my expectations that I think the book wasn't as much as I'd hoped.

I was sold on the sci-fi component. Really, just wave intergalactic war and the fate of captives in front of me and I bite. But, the sci-fi elements faded really fast as the captives adjust to life on the Algonquan home world, which is terribly similar to Earth: grass, swimming pools, and even the furniture. The world building was a bit disappointing.

There's a couple distinct aspects to the story, some that I enjoy much more than others. The breeding portion, well that is technically more like incubating than breeding unless you're comparing them to Pokemon where you collect and hatch eggs. And while it was entertaining the first few times, the unrelenting orgasms and constant sexual hunger/humping/fucking got boring. Yep, hook him up to the milker... again.

Then there's the violence and justice Algonquan style. Which I guess is suppose to make you feel better, revenge for Master's incompetence soothes the wronged parties. Then, there's some bizarre rhetoric that gets spewed out a few times against Terrans, the pets' species and how there's no way that being POWs has led to Stockholm Syndrome. I really tried to skip these paragraphs because it fell apart so dramatically, but I understand the underlying message of the validity of 24/7 relationships attempting to be made.

Then there's the ending, which in a lot of ways just drags out the natural course of life. It was heavy-handed emotional manipulation which actually didn't make me cry because it was so clumsy. This theme was handled much more adroitly in Dalton's [book:The Reluctant Dom|8127475].

Overall, meh. Sometime less is better.

Side-eye quote: <b><blockquote>It’s not Stockholm Syndrome because I’m happy here.</blockquote></b>

No comments:

Post a Comment