Friday, July 20, 2018

A Rose in Winter by Kathleen E. Woodiwiss

5 Stars


Fast paced story of Erienne Fleming, impoverished daughter of Mawbry's mayor. She bears a resemblance to Catherine from Taming of the Shrew at the start, but very quickly it becomes obvious with the cards she's been dealt in life that it really isn't surprising.

Swords, fire, murder, mayhem, auctioned female, Georgian extravagance and true love. *sigh* Good stuff.

I have found my rose in winter. You are my own precious love, promised to me evermore.


Woodiwiss had a good command of language and used it very well. The descriptives are lovely and the sentiment, passionate to treacle sweet.

"Honor you?" he breathed. "Sweetest Erienne, how could I not? You are ever in my thoughts bending me, twisting me, plucking at the fibers of my mind. The man inside me trembles whenever you're near, and I groan in agony for the touch of your hand laid upon me in a soft caress. I am beset with desire for you, and if I thought for one moment that you would not loathe me forever, I would ease my lusts this very night, be you willing or nay."


Just as wonderful as I remember. Liberal use of the term Yankee in this KEW story, but instead of Gray v. Blue as in my last one, this is England v. newly-minted America. Probably my favorite Woodiwiss novel, though I am planning to reread The Wolf and the Dove later this year with Andrea, so it could be a toss up.


No comments:

Post a Comment