Thursday, May 3, 2018

Space Opera by Catherynne M. Valente

4.5 Stars


Like being at the best cocktail party--EVER!

So funny, clever, over-the-top, philosophical Eurovision/Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy that had hints of This is Spinal Tap and cameos by:



How you ask. Simple. After nearly annihilating the universe, the varying factions created the Grand Prix, a song competition. The descriptions of the all the species and their peccadillos were fabulous, entertaining. Trust me, you love red pandas? You'll love them even more. Organic, inorganic, substantial, insubstantial--it's all good. Clearly, some species are always going to be more friendly than others, but there are always outliers too. And it's the work of one being in the book, the murder of stupidity that really helped keep me grounded as I read:

The fateful weapon? A large-print, mildly venomous picture book for which the general galactic population feels a level of affection and tender attachment that falls somewhere between Newton's Principia Mathematica and Goodnight Moon. Goguenar Gorecannon's Unkillable Facts contains 99.9 percent pure reliable and comprehensive laws of the universe as observed by an underachieving socially anxious mutant murderhippo and is considered to be as essential to a healthy, balanced childhood as hugs, night-lights, and cellular division.

I borrowed this book from my library, but I'm going to my local bookstore to get a copy so I can hand it out to people who really matter to me. And because there's at least one person who finished AP Calculus took the exam and still had a month of showing up to class, wherein the the teacher said do what you want and they teamed up to created/record a song called "Concave Up" set to the music of "Bottom's Up" by Trey Songz and Nicki Minaj; they deserve a book that speaks to them:

Second place went to the machine intelligences known as the 321 for their precision-tuned, eighty-nine-minute, neo-gangsta math rock anthem "This Program Has Encountered an Error and Must Shut Down," coded, compiled, and submitted by the Entity Known as Monad.

This is a wild ride on the pop culture tilt-a-whirl that critiques life and humanity. I got dizzy once while reading this and had to stop. Didn't stop me from jumping back on. Just don't have a corndog before hand. It was only once-- I swear. 



No comments:

Post a Comment