Tuesday, August 22, 2017

THE GRAND SOPHY by Georgette Heyer

3.5 Stars


Sophy is a force to be reckoned with.

I enjoyed this a great deal. Sophy was a charming, good-natured, and manipulative heroine. It was impressive to watch her straighten out the Ombersley's household, almost like watching a magician pull the cloth off a fully laden table. Her feats are rather bold and daring, and in some ways unrealistic.

Charles, the sourpuss cousin with the weight of the family on his shoulders, was rather a prig and his betrothed, Eugenia even more so--Ugh. While I enjoyed Sophy's antics I found the wrap up less satisfying. Frankly, Sir Horace was far more interesting than any of the other male characters. I guess, I've been spoiled because Freddy from COTILLON was amazing--practically perfect if every way. I guess if you're a fan of fixing them up kind of romance than this is a win, but I tend to be more prosaic or lazy and assume what you see is about as good as it will ever get.

Overall, entertaining and a bit madcap at times.


No comments:

Post a Comment