Tuesday, November 1, 2016

THE NARRATIVE OF ARTHUR GORDON PYM OF NANTUCKET by Edgar Allan Poe


2 Stars


DNF 65%

Pulling the plug on this. I love Poe, or rather, I love his short stories. He just doesn't translate well into full length novels, too much repetition and descriptive exposition to keep interest. This worked out better for me as a sleep aid than a tale. 
"The body from which it had been taken, resting as it did upon the rope, had been easily swayed to and from by the exertions of the carnivorous bird , and it was this motion which had at first impressed us with the belief of its being alive."
--This was the lure that kept me reading in hopes of uncovering another such gem. *sigh*

___________________________________________________________________
When you think you're going one place, In the Heart of the Sea: The Tragedy of the Whaleship Essex based story, only to find out you were misinformed and it's really more influenced by Address on the Subject of a Surveying and Exploring Expedition to the Pacific Ocean and South Seas.



I guess I'll read it for the cannibalism. There's no way to make that boring, or is there? I mean, it's not a cookbook. Even then, there are exciting ways of presenting it.

No comments:

Post a Comment