Tuesday, January 19, 2016

A Few of My Favorite Things



My favorite finds this holiday season that were fresh and new and made me rethink concepts. I had three and each was an epiphany.

First, Dean Koontz's SANTA'S TWIN was a great picture book for middle ages and up. Not new, but new to me. It featured two female protagonists and a gritty, visceral rhyming that was both gross and funny. Definitely a win.
Second, the Finnish film RARE EXPORTS was an awesome twist on some well known tropes that just made it an edgy and heroic tale of a young boy. This is a new holiday classic in my house. Gonna watch it every year! Frankly, I haven't been so excited by a foreign film since I watched KUNG FU HUSTLE. I got this two years ago and finally stuck it in to watch it, and my only regret is not doing it sooner.
Third, and probably going to make me people's heads spin when compared to the first two--SIR GAWAIN AND THE GREEN KNIGHT. This translation by Armitage is beautiful. I found myself reading it aloud or mouthing it to feel the words; they were so enticing. I had forgotten how much poetry can lure me and beguile. Just gorgeous and a nice Yuletide addition to my seasonal readings.
So, I loved it enough to recommend to interested parties. 

No comments:

Post a Comment