Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Truth in the Dark

by Amy Lane

CCCCC


Love isn't blind. Love transforms.

Respun Fairy Tales are not my usual fare, but I have to say that this one rocks. From the vitriolic spewing to the cruelty and charm I was thoroughly engaged and vacillating between smirks and smiles. It is a worthwhile retelling of Beauty and the Beast.

Naef is a tormented soul in a twisted body. His physical pain is only exceeded by the psychological.
I tried very hard not to ponder the horrible irony that I was too ugly to love, and too ugly not to violate.
When given a chance to escape his present circumstances he does so only to free his loyal protector and sister, Gwen.
I looked around at my little corner, my niggling, festering hovel of misanthropy. It was ugly—hell, it was rabid, but it was all I had.

Aerie-Smith, the sensitive Beast comes with an offer for Naef. The leonine features have not diminished his humanity. If only Naef could learn the self-acceptance that Aerie-Smith has. 

There is a lovely flip in this story and the reveal at the end takes this book from a 4 star to a 5 star read. 

Again, I've had to footnote my previous statements about Lane's writing. In my defense, no naive men or misplaced melodrama--it is a fairy tale and thus the twists and extremes are de rigueur. And a big thanks to my friend Don who urged me to give it chance with the promise I could exact violence on his person if I didn't like it--cheeky bastard. 

I want one of the chess sets.

Favorite quote:
I was terrified that this moment, my chance to live in happiness for however short a time we may have had, would be ruined because I was simply not carved out of the same wood as happiness, and that my grain was too twisted to ever take its form.

No comments:

Post a Comment